Coal City, Illinois is located approximately 60 miles south west of Chicago, Coal City was a mining community incorporated in 1881 as the Village of Coal City. In 1966 the Coal City Fire Protection District was formed. Today the District is comprised of a full time Fire Chief 2 part time Deputy fire Chiefs, 6 full time Lieutenants, 3 Career Firefighter/Paramedics and 50 paid on call and part time firefighters and Emergency Medical Technicians providing ALS emergency medical service. As well as a full time Administrative Assistant. The District protects 55 square miles with a variety of occupancies from residential to nuclear electric generation.
The District protects approximately 10,500 residents of Grundy County, Coal City, Diamond and Carbon Hill.
The the time the district was formed, the board of trustees and membership determined that “Omaha Orange” would be the high visible color for the district. Since this time Coal City Fire traditional calls for all equipment to be painted this color with reflective black stripes which was added in 1993.
The Coal City Fire Protection District is a member of MABAS Division 15 and Chief Shabbona Firefighter’s Training Association. Additionally, the District is a participating member of MABAS 15 HazMat and Dive Teams and a member of the Orange C.A.R.T. (Combine Area Response Team)